According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 300 plus crane-related deaths occurred between 2011 and 2020. More than half of these deaths were caused by objects or machinery, with over 25 percent involving crane operators. In conclusion, the statistics emphasize the importance of crane safety at every stage of operation, including travel, setup, rigging, and lifting.
Here are 20 crane safety Tips/recommendations, which include information on:
- Check around the Machine before starting
Check that there is no person on the obstacle around the machine before starting.
- Attention to safe Driving
Keep a sufficient distance to the preceding vehicle maintain a moderate speed, and executes early braking. Do not drive in an aggressive manner such as overspeeding, sudden start, sudden braking, or steering.
Assign a Guide at a place with poor Visibility
Assign a guide at a turning, narrow place, a blind corner and when reversing to prevent collisions or crashes.
- Inspection for traveling on roads
Traveling with an abnormality to the machine is dangerous. Inspect the machine according to the chapters ”inspection before traveling” and pre-operational inspection ” in this manual before traveling.
if any abnormality is found, report it to the responsible personnel and repair it before traveling.
- Engine Stop while Traveling
If the machine travels on a downhill or the like with the engine stopped, the air is not supplied to the air tank, therefore pressure becomes insufficient and then brakes do not work. If the engine is stopped during traveling, immediately stop at a safe place.
- If the Machine Fails in a Tunnel
Immediately flash the hazard light and places a stop indicator at the rear of the machine to inform the following vehicles of danger. And then, take measures to tow the machine out of the tunnel. Do not try to repair the tunnel as this may lead to a secondary disaster.
Avoid Excessive use of Foot Braking
Excessive use of foot braking overheats the braking devices and disables the braking function. On a long downward slope, shift the gear down to use the engine to brake, and use the exhaust brake and retarder as well.
- Keep visibility in good condition
When window glass lights or mirrors are dirty, improper visibility impair safe operation. Clean dirty off so that window glass and lights provide good visibility. Adjust the mirror so that the best visibility can be obtained from the driver’s seat.
- Travel in two Wheel Steering Mode on Roads
Traveling in the mode of special steering or reverse steering is dangerous, thus it is prohibited. Travel only in two-wheel mode on road.
- Do Not Travel with Cargo Loaded
Traveling with cargo loaded causes unexpected accidents such as cargo falling off. When carrying cargo, use a dedicated machine such as a truck for crane safety.
- Wear Seat Belts
Wear a seat belt while traveling for your safety. Wear the belt carefully so that it does not twist.
- Do not Exceed seating capacity
Traveling over the seating capacity not only violates laws but also causes unexpected accidents.
- Be careful of Road Surface Condition
Poor road surface conditions may cause an unexpected accident due to slippage or loss of steering wheel control. When traveling on snow-covered roads, frozen road surfaces, rough ground, and slopes, pay particular attention to safe driving and make crane safety into account. Before traveling, Check road surface conditions, and fit with tire chain depending on road surface conditions.
- Park on a level and safe places
In order to prevent danger, avoid parking on a slope. When parking, stop on a level place and apply the parking brake.
- Set Stoppers to the Tires
When unavoidably parking on s slope, park the machine parallel with the slope. Further, apply the parking brake to prevent the machine from running, and set the stoppers to the tires.
- Take Safety measures against accidents when parking on a Road
To prevent accidents when parking on a road, set up a flag, flashing lights, and stop indicators so that the machine is easily noticed by other passing vehicles even at night. Additionally, park the machine os as not to obstruct the traffic of other vehicles and pedestrians.
- When leaving the Machine safety tips
If the machine is left with the engine running or with the starter switch key inserted, other people can operate the machine. When leaving the machine, take the following measure.
- Park o nlevel ground and apply the parking brake.
- Apply all the brakes and locks , and set the levers to the neutral positions.
- Stop the engine and pull out the key from the starter switch.
- Lock all the door and covers.
Do not operate a crane when you are tired or under influence of alcohol
You cannot focus your attention under physical conditions, such as when you are tired, lack of sleep, and are under influence of medication or alcohol. Do not operate the machine under these conditions because correct judgment to avoid danger can’t be made in case of an emergency.
Read all the precautions for safety and understand them before operation, inspection, and maintenance. Many accidents in operation, inspection, and maintenance are caused by ignoring the basic safety rules and precautions.
Be aware the ignorance of even safety precautions may result in a serious accident involving persons and properties around the machine.
Caution for traveling on roads basic crane safety tipsBefore traveling on roads:
- Basically, check that the red indication lamp light up.
- Check that the outrigger are in full retracting status.
- Lock the drum.
- Open the shutter at the rear of the engine cover to the road traveling status.
- Insert the Swing Lock pin.
- Keep pressing the suspension Free switch for one second or more and check that the “SUS LOCK” lamp goes out.
- Move the shift lever to N when starting the engine.
- Securly operate the shift lever from forward to reverse or reverse to forward with the brake padel depressed after the vehicles is completely stopped.
- Operate the “steering mode” and “drive select” (four wheel Lo, two wheel Hi,four wheel Hi) switches while the vehicles stops.
- If the engine stop during traveling, the follwoing effecct occur. Immediately restart the engine. Be sure that is does not occur with a brake malfunction etc. Compressor air for the brake is not supplied, then the brake does not work if the air pressure drops. For power steering, the power device does not work, then the steering wheel become difficuit to operate.
- Effectively use the exhasut brake and engine brake , and do not frequently use the foot brake. For traveling on a downward slope, use 3,2 and 1 speed on the shift lever depending on the gradient and particularly on a long downward slope, use the retarder together to prevent the foot brake from overheating.
- When the brake tends to heat excessively, do not operate the working auziliary braking device. These crane safety tips can help to prevent accidents.